Happy National Cheese Day! In celebration of the holiday, I’d like to share with you a classic recipe for baked fontina from Pennies on a Platter. Perfect for a dinner party appetizer, game day dish or just an afternoon snack with the family, this cheese dip is sure to hit the spot. Snack on!
- 1 1/2 pounds Italian Fontina, cubed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the broiler on high and position the top oven rack 6 inches from the broiler.
- Evenly distribute Fontina cubes in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or oven safe dish and drizzle with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, thyme and rosemary. Sprinkle over the cheese along with salt and pepper.
- Broil for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve family style by dipping into it with pieces of baguette.